Friday, August 03, 2007

Minneapolis

Before jumping into our family's history, I feel that it is very important for me to briefly comment on the tragic collapse of the I-35W bridge in Minneapolis. Having been a college student in the Twin Cities, I have traveled across the Mississippi River bridges more times than I can remember. Seeing one of them lying in the river after collapsing was almost surreal as I watched the events unfold on the news. Thankfully as far as I know everyone I know is safe and sound, but my condolences go out to those who lost a loved one in this tragic event. I can only echo the statements of countless people since then: let's hope that this, along with the steam explosion in NY a couple of weeks ago, serves as a wake up call about our aging infrastructure and the need to overhaul or replace large portions of it. Here's a thought... instead of spending billions of dollars a month occupying a foreign country, let's use the money to fix our bridges and roads and pipes... things that literally seem to be falling apart and exploding around us. Just a thought.

No comments: